How to Make Hlakwana the South African Way!
I am going to teach you how to quickly cook delicious trotters over a fire! By the way, I was actually forced to learn how to prepare this over a fire after our beloved Eskom decided to implement load-shedding stage 5 the morning after we had a rough weekend with the boys! The recipe we will look into today requires a different preparation strategy than the standard pot and stove method!
• 1 medium-sized hlakwana pack
• 3 liters of water (you can fill up as we go)
• 2 stock cubes of your choice
• 1/2 tsp of salt
• 1/2 tsp of chili
• 1/2 tsp of thyme
• 1/2 tsp of coriander
• 1 onion
• cooking oil
To prepare the dish and your cooking station, you will only need around 5 minutes.
Let’s Get Started:
• Add your trotters into a bowl and wash thoroughly
• Dice your onion (the finer, the better)
- Place clean cow heels in a pot and cover with water
- Place the pot over a fire and let it cook for 3.5 hours
- Once there is little to no water left, add 4 tsp of oil to the pot with your chopped onion
- Add all of the above spices and allow them to fry with the onion
- Add water to the pot once again just until it fills half of the pot
- Cook for the final hour
Hlakwana is a definite must-try for those of you who haven’t, and for those of you who have, try Musi Foods Hlakwana Recipe and let us know in the comments below what you think!